Sunday, October 13, 2013

Foggy, Cloudy, and sometimes Sunny but Always Gorge-ous


Flashing color in the Gorge, 10-24-2009
The Autumn Express is tearing down the track will a full head of steam. This past week the weather guys were all pointing towards warmer sunnier weather. They had forecasts for temps in the mid sixties that just never materialized. This is autumn, this is how we roll. Cooler temps tend to prevail. October is usually the last opportunity for outdoor activity that does not leave you sopping wet and cold to the bones. So we all need to get outside and enjoy the fall color and the crisp nip in the air.

Now that I am on about fall color, the trees this week seem to be snapping into brilliant mode. I notice that the urban planted trees seem to flash color first then the native trees in the country go second. I will be taking a run out to Carson tomorrow and will be careful to note the colors of the gorge and report back in my next blog post. For those of you not in the Portland Metro Area, Carson is a town near Stevenson, WA about 45 miles East of Vancouver, WA in the Columbia River Gorge.

I can make a strong argument in favor of the idea that the very best time to visit the Gorge is middle Autumn from late October to early November. One need not drive all the way to Carson, either. One of the most breathtaking fall views you will glimpse is at Cape Horn, WA. That my friends is only a short 20 miles from the SR-14 and I-205 interchange.

Gorge-ous Views so Close to Home

The drive from Camas to Cape Horn is spectacular when the color is flashing, and the view from the lookout is amazing. What I like about Cape Horn is that it appeals to my inner lazy man, oh who am I kidding, my outer lazy man too. There are not many opportunities to glance upon a panorama so grand with out nary a footstep to hike. But there it is for us to behold.    

The View from Cap Horn Lookout, 10-24-2009
So what are you waiting for? Better weather? well, yeah that could be it. Get out there and soak it up my friends, soak it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment