Sunday, March 1, 2020

Spring is here...almost.

The meteorologists consider March 1st the beginning of Spring but the "official" first day of Spring falls on the Spring Equinox which is March 19th this year. I have had a some issues with the network server updating my weather stats online. My station is fine but my charts and such are all messed up. I'll have to get it all sorted or buy a new Raspberry PI server. In the meantime, February was below average for rainfall, a tick above average on temps, well below average snowfall. The snow levels have been riding the roller coaster all month. Today the sun peaked out to reveal a heavy winter coat across the Cascade foothills down to about a thousand feet or so.

I didn't have any real cold weather with just ten days that dropped below freezing. Every single day except the 4th, managed to hit at least 40° and the 4th topped out at 39.7°. I recorded 0.5 inch of snow on the 3rd but it was only on the ground for a couple hours. This year looks like it will finish well under typical for snow. March however, can and has recently delivered some snowfall so I could pad the numbers a bit. It is highly unlikely I'll get over 6 inches this month so below average is the smart bet for this seasons snowfall. For the record, I did record 7.85 inches of snowfall in March of 2012, so it is possible ;)

I had no serious challenge to any of my local record lows, but I did record a local record daily high on the 6th with a 57.8° mark. Precipitation was weak sauce for the whole month with the wettest day being a 0.61 inch performance. We need some rain, we do.

February, 2020 had a bonus day but the rest of the month was rather average really. March could go any which way, March is a month that flies by the seat of its pants with winter and spring tugging at the weather. Could be cold, could be wet, could be warm, could dry, could be all of those things :)

Soak it up my friends, soak it up.




No comments:

Post a Comment