Thursday, April 1, 2021

Marching into Springtime

That title is no fool, friends; March did usher in our first springlike weather and also had a few chilly bits just to remind us were are still above the 45th parallel.

I recorded both my first 60° high and my first 70° mark of the season last month. The sixty came on the 11th which was one of six days last month to bust out over sixty degrees. The lone 70 came on the last day of the month and just barely with a mark of 70.1° yesterday afternoon.

With all this sixties and seventies talk, what's with that bit above about north of the 45th? Well friends I had a daily record low fall at my station. On the morning of the 16th the mercury bottomed out at 29.7° which was the chilliest for that day since my records started in 2002. That was also the lowest temp for the month. 

March was rather mild this year. The warmest overnight low was 45° on the morning of the 19th and the chilliest daytime high was the 15th with a more February like 46.5°. All told March 2021 was pretty spot on average just a tad cooler by night and a pinch warmer by day. I recorded just three sub freezing temps and every single day managed to get above 40°. 

The rain bucket was not very busy last month. I measured a mere 1.57 inches of precipitation all of which was rainfall. That is well under the 5.52 inches average for me. There was some hail that came down in a few heavy showers. Snow levels rode the roller coaster up and down between 1000 feet and 5000 feet all month. The wettest day was 0.29 inch on the 22nd and that was the only day with more than 1/4 inch. I had 6 days of sunshine and 12 days with some rain. 

It looks like we are likely in the clear of winter precipitation as I have only recorded snowfall after March 31st on one occasion. In fact as I write this my thermometer is making a run at yesterday's 70 but it sits at 68.7° right now. I think that's all she has today.


No comments:

Post a Comment