Monday, March 6, 2017

Broke a Record and Tied Another Today

Coming into today, this winter season was tied as the third snowiest on record since I started keeping snowfall records at this location in the winter of 2001-02. This morning I enjoyed a little dusting of snow. Only about a 1/4 inch stuck to the ground but it was enough to move this 2016-17 winter season alone into 3rd place as a solid bronze medalist. Coming into today this season was tied for the most number of days the Evergreen School District was closed for winter weather at 7 days. This little dusting did not result in any school closures of course so that remains a tie. Today did advance the 2016-17 winter season into a first place tie with the 2008-09 season as most days with measurable snowfall at 24. 2008-09 is the snowiest I have on record at 28.75 inches. We are not even have way to that total this year. I currently have a total of  30 days with at least a trace of snow lying on the ground. The record of 39 days with snow on the ground set back in 2006-07 is pretty safe at this point. That season only had 10.7 inches all year but January of 2007 had snow on the ground nearly every day of the month. I doubt we will get 9 more snow days before the warm rays of spring arrive.

All in all this winter will go down as a notably chilly one. 14.3 inches of snow is hardly a major total but we did the January storm that dumped a lot more snow on the west side than here at my house. Areas west of I-5 in Vancouver saw one day snow totals well over a foot which compares to a mere 7 inches that I got here. So in local lore this winter will carry more weight than others with similar snow totals. The Top three snowiest and epic winters since I started keeping my records are as follows:


  1. 2008-09 - 28.75 inches (Christmas Storm)
  2. 2003-04 - 22.90 inches (Great Ice Storm)
  3. 2016-17 - 14.30 inches (I-5 Blizzard)
There you have my friends records they be broken... soak it up my friends, soak it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment